I love a good one pot wonder and this dish is no exception. Pork is a lighter flavoured meat that melts in beautifully with the fennel flavoured concasse base.. This Pork Ragu all melts together in the slow cooker over time to produce a heart and soulful dinner dish that is easy and quick. Gotto luv that.
I am a lover of all things garnished… and I haven’t met a savoury dish yet that can’t handle a decent amount of acid.. so dont hold back on the lime wedges and the fresh coriander to garnish this dish when you are plating up.. squeeze some lime juice all around it aswell as serving it with 2 lime wedges.. beautiful…
Let me explain the Slow Cooker / Big Pot
I have a ‘major’ Bessemerware Pot (like a major size of 20Litres in that pot) and so sometimes I use this to do a slow cook in.. but the ingredients in this recipe don’t change whether you are cooking in a Big Bessemerware Pot or an electric Slow Cooker…
The changes you need to make are the amount of cook time..
-In an electric Slow Cooker I would let it cook for 3-4 hours, check it and then cook longer if needed.
-In a Bessemerware Pot I would let it cook for 2 hours only. Then rest it and let it cool. When you are ready to serve, gently heat for 20 minutes.
- 2T fat (schmaltz/tallow/lard/ghee)
- 2 red onions, peeled, diced
- 3 medium carrots, small dice
- 1.5 T fennel seed
- 1T white pepper
- 1t pink salt
- 1T garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2T coconut balsalmic vinegar
- 1kg pork chop
- 1kg ripe fresh tomato, large dice
- Put your pot on Medium Heat
- Melt your fat
- Add the red onion, letting it sweat gently to bring out the sweetness (5 mins)
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir around to combine.
- Put the lid on and let it cook for 2 hours on the very lowest setting if using a Big Bessemerware Pot OR 3-4 hours in an electric Slow Cooker.
- At the end of the cook time, give it a stir and taste the seasonings
- Adjust seasoning as required.
- Leave to Cool.
- The meat should be falling apart.
- The flavours should have developed nicely.
- Any adjustments to seasonings can be done now.
- Dinner is now ready to be reheated when you are ready 🙂
GET OUR TOP 5 RECIPES + Garnishing Secrets
Enter your name and email, and you will receive our 5 Most Popular Recipes + Garnishing Secrets immediately to your email...
You are on your way to delicious-ness-ness... (hehe)...