Pork Crackle is one of those things that is an indulgence and a special treat! We love crackle in our house…
Often times your pork crackle will be attached to the top of a roast for you. This recipe is designed for those of you who go to the butcher and buy a pork skin on its own… The timings and temperatures are quite different when the pork skin/rind is attached to the top of a roast so please don’t substitute this method if you have a roast as it won’t work very well for both the meat AND the rind… not much crackle will happen and your meat won’t be soft and juicy!
Stay with the process to finish your Crackle..
Make sure you read right down the bottom of the recipe as the last bit is as important as the first bit…
Crackle is a Science 🙂
You have to Prep it Right!
You have to Cook it Right!
and You have to Finish it Right!
It’s not hard you just have to concentrate…
This recipe will certainly bring you joy and satisfaction tho’! 🙂
- 1 Rectangle of Pork Skin/Rind
- 2T Pink Salt
- 2T Fat of your choice
- Very Sharp Knife! I use a Stanley Knife.. (i hide it so no one can use it for anything else!)
- Preheat your Oven to 220˚ whilst you are preparing the Pork Skin.
- Do not put your skin in until your oven has reached its temperature.
- Lay out the Pork Skin.
- With your 'very' sharp knife score line 1cm apart all the way along the Pork Skin.
- Now Score lines that are 1cm apart going in the other direction.
- You should end up with a criss cross diamond effect.
- That's all done now!
- Use Paper towel to pat it dry.
- Leave it exposed to the air for a few hours if you can.. I even pop it in the fridge with no glad wrap on it to dry it out if I have the time.
- Another idea is to get a hair dryer onto it! just to dry off any moisture.
- I use a biscuit tray as it has no sides and is a long rectangle.
- Sprinkle about 1T of salt on your oven tray.
- Now place your Pork Skin onto the salted tray.
- -make sure the scored side of the rind is facing upwards
- Pour 2T of your choice of healthy oil onto your Pork Skin.
- Using the tips of your fingers spread it all around to cover the Pork Skin.
- Wash your Hands.
- Now sprinkle another 1 teaspoon of Pink Salt onto the Pork Skin.
- Gently push the salt into all the scored cuts.
- Sprinkle a little more salt to make sure its evenly coated.
- -the salt in the cracks reacts to the fat cooking and causes the skin to puff up.. if you dont get the salt in the cracks your skin will be chewy!
- Ok.. here we go!
- Pay Attention.. this bits important 🙂
- The oven is very hot now on 220˚C.
- Cook your Pork Skin on this temperature for 20-30 minutes only.
- (Set the timer on your oven or on your phone if you have to so you don't go over the time limit)
- At the 20 minute mark turn your oven down to 160˚C-180˚C and cook for 1 hour.
- Drain of the fat into a container and refrigerate. I use this to cook with 🙂
- After 1 hour you are ready to check the Crackle and start to 'tweak it' for the finishing touches.
- There is an art to making sure the crackle is going to CRACKLE!
- So take the Crackle out of the oven and get a knife.
- on the corner of the Crackle insert the knife into one of the lines you have scored and press down to see if it snaps off!
- It is supposed to snap off at this point!
- The surface of the Crackle should look all blistered aswell...
- If both of those signs are present. Voila! You're done!
- Put it back in the oven for 5 minute intervals at 200˚C.
- Don't leave the kitchen or you will burn your Crackle and all your hard work will be wasted.
- Stay with it now. You aren't far off.
- Keep doing 5 minute intervals until you can CRACK the CRACKLE apart 🙂
GET OUR TOP 5 RECIPES + Garnishing Secrets
Enter your name and email, and you will receive our 5 Most Popular Recipes + Garnishing Secrets immediately to your email...
You are on your way to delicious-ness-ness... (hehe)...