I married an Indian.. so I am Indian now 🙂
Biryani is my Husband’s all time favourite dish and so the only ‘real’ way to make it is to “make it from scratch”!
You can’t make any Indian dish without roasting your spices first. I think this is the single most important step in any curry.. you can change a lot of things when making a curry but fry/roasting off your spices is not one of them.
The body/bulk of your ‘gravy’ comes from your onion so the more gravy you want the more onion you would add (and tomato if it is present in your recipe).
You can change your protein to suit your preference.. chicken, beef, lamb, vegetarian.. it’s all possible once you’ve created your ‘masala’ which is really like your curry paste that you would buy from the shops.
So please enjoy these amazing flavours. Remember you must always adjust seasoning and spiciness for your own preference 🙂
My house smells amazing! Wowee!!
- 1T Fennel Seed
- 4 Whole Clove
- 12 small Cardamom Pods
- 1t Whole Mixed Peppercorn
- 1t Garam Masala
- 2T Ground Coriander
- 1+½ T Ground Cummin
- 1t Cinnamon
- 2 medium heat Fresh Red Chilli's
- 1.5 inches fresh Ginger Root
- 15 cloves Garlic
- 1.5 large Red Onion
- 2t Pink Salt
- 4T Ghee/Oil of your choice
- 1kg Stewing Beef/Chuck, diced
- 1 Can Ayam Coconut Milk (200ml)
- Add all ingredients for the Spice Mix to a Coffee Grinder or a Thermomix.
- Grind to a fine powder. Speed 5 | 5 seconds
- Roast for 5 minutes to release all aromatics. Speed 2 | Reverse | 5 minutes | 100˚
- Put Garlic, Ginger, Red Onion, Salt & your Oil of choice in Thermomix (where the ground spice mix is).
- Grind to a paste texture. Speed 5 | 3 seconds.
- Add Butterfly.
- Fry together for 5 minutes. Speed 1 | Reverse | Varoma Temp.
- Add Meat & Coconut Milk.
- Cook on Simmer for 40 minutes. Speed 1 | Reverse | Varoma
- Taste. Adjust seasoning as required.
- Check tenderness of Meat. Cook longer if the meat is tough.
- You want to cook it until falling apart and soft.
Let me know how you go **** 🙂
Love Love Love… M.
GET OUR TOP 5 RECIPES + Garnishing Secrets
Enter your name and email, and you will receive our 5 Most Popular Recipes + Garnishing Secrets immediately to your email...
You are on your way to delicious-ness-ness... (hehe)...